Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Terraces, Turrets, and Tasty Treats...


Well we did it, we got ourselves to elimination thanks to our terrace with a slight case of Turrets! Ah, whatever, cohesive blah-blah, I still liked it, thought it was super creative. But here's the thing, the team leadership from the last challenge that Tom kept blaming for our loss, in my opinion, was not the case at all... On the Redbook challenge the leadership formula broke down like this: I took a strong lead with furniture and accessories, I know the New York shopping scene, I have a strong grasp on decoration and styling, and for the most part I was not questioned on my contributions to the design. Courtland took the lead with the layout of finishes and architectural styling of the room, and it's no secret, he did a great job... And in the end that leadership formula worked out and helped us win the challenge, this time, not so much. I piped down a little bit (a bit being the key word) this time around. I really don't want to come across as overbearing or bossy, well at least this soon in the competition. I got lost in my art piece, focused a lot on my "sly" injection of humor with the use of accessories, and was concerned with more my own inspiration than anyone elses... Court got caught up in his little piece of Arizona, Alex and Tom really focused their efforts on the furniture and how/what it spoke to, and Trent, well sadly Trent was losing steam... I think we all put on blinders and no one stepped back to look at the big picture! So, with that said, maybe if Court was driving, actually scratch that, maybe if I was driving and Court was sitting shotgun (that'd be cuter) we would have won! But whatever the case, I had a blast and stand behind my design and my team!

OK, now more importantly, what the hell am I doing in this photo???


As a New Yorker, I know all to well how urbanites covet outdoor spaces. Without having the luxury of backyards and outdoor space being so hard to come by we rely on seeking refuge in a restaurant's sidewalk seating, a beer garden, a hotel rooftop, anywhere really that we can take in some fresh air (well as fresh as NYC can offer). So where are my favorite New York outdoor oases, here you go:

The Poetry Garden Terrace at The Library Hotel
Madison Ave. and 41st Street
The perfect place to throw back a glass of Champagne with a hot date prior to indulging him or her in a romantic summer night.



Yaffa Cafe
St. Marks Place between 1st Ave and A. 
This eccentric back patio makes our patio's Turrets pale in comparison. The distinct East Village eatery offers a lot of tasty cheap eats perfect for getting some food in the stomach prior to barhopping your way through the Lower East Side. 


My Moon
N. 10th Street between Driggs and Bedford Aves. 
This industrial factory turned restaurant's outdoor garden demands attention as it prominently lends itself to a grand entrance into the space. If you're unable to get a seat outside no worries, the trek out to BK is worth while as the interior boasts the space's original boilers converted to booths, wood ceiling beams,  and vast architectural proportions.

I'm brewing on a few more spots to check out, I'll keep you posted, but in the meantime, get out there and try some of these... 

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful places. Can't wait until you bring me drinks at all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MICHAEL I KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING IN THE PHOTO.
    THE SWAN DANCE!!
    XOXO
    SOPHIA

    ReplyDelete
  3. seriously, did they tell us to stand on one foot? i have no recollection. why did we do that? and why isn't alex? so weird.

    lets get drinks at yaffa, in like 3 months.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, i think you guys patio was way better! at least it had character and color! and I'm not saying that cause I'm biased! Even my husband who loves the white walls of our rental loved you guys patio's flair! and thought the girls was too white, his words!

    Do what you do best! You have to win! :)

    in the picture I think your just being you?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of you driving and Court sitting shotgun~truly would be cute! Take the reigns Michael and win this competition. You have the talent, sense of humor and drive to become the next Design Star.

    ReplyDelete