Friday, July 16, 2010

Bookcases, Barb, and Battling Nina

I'm not sure where to start... This week has been super surreal and I'm just stating for the record, I'm not letting any of it go to my head and start acting all too big for my britches, I promise... Except Mom, I'll need you to send a car for me this weekend before the lake, I can't take trains anymore...

OK, to start, I forgot how much I loved the look of our room this past week. They start to fade in my head after a certain amount of time. Clean, fresh and simple can certainly be dynamic and I think the boys and I proved that... Some may say it's safe, but I say if you're borderline OCD, like to clean, and enjoy light and airy, then go for it, live in a white minimal box. Me, I need lots of color, varied depths, and patterns to distract me from dust bunnies, wall scuffs, and grit... Please don't think I'm a slob, I just am too busy to clean several times a day. 


And then the bookcase, well yes, while it was my conceptual idea, Courtland did have a lot of input on the the schematics and construction of the piece, and without him it would have never happened. For me, I just wanted the head of the bed to face the windows... Killer views to wake up to.





Next, my first recognition from a stranger... Now as an Urbanite we get used to celebrity sightings and I mean like real, legitimate ones... So New Yorkers, well I'm not sure on the whole they'll notice me. But take me to suburbia and my chances increase. I was in Lowes buying some hardware for a project I'm doing outside The City, 16 drawers pulls to be exact, at self checkout, $3.97, $3.97, $3.97, $3.97 and so on, which naturally I started laughing at myself after hearing the $3.97 for the 8th time, I have a tendency to laugh and talk to myself a lot... (Note to self: stop doing that in public, it looks strange.) So I'm walking out and this woman approaches me and says "Are you Michael?" and since this project is not far from home I'm thinking this must be a friend of my mother, or a teacher from grade school, or a friend's mother, but no it was not, it was a complete stranger... So I answered yes and she first apologized for "bothering me" (Note to others: attention is never a bother) and then proceeds to to praise me, the show, my designs; she tells me how she's routing and wishes big things for me... And all I'm thinking is what do I do? Do I introduce myself? Do I thank her? Do I call for help? But being so taken off guard I awkwardly introduce myself (Duh Michael, she knows who you are) and I meet my first fan, Barb... And while I am not the least bit shy or put off by attention, this scenario was surreal. I got in my car, was literally shaking, and called my mom! I think I've been in a bit of denial this whole time... But now, I'm thinking, this is going to happen... Future trips to Target and Home Depot should be approached with caution. Shout out to Barb from Lowes!

And of course, a mini-challenge with Nina on the PIX morning show. It was fun to get back in the game, push creativity to the max, and hastily spit something out that you hope is presentable in the end... You can watch it here if you missed it:


I'm happy with the outcome, considering it was done in 90 minutes... If I had more time, I would have added more layers and continued my graffiti word play with "star".


My inspiration, Shepard Fairy... and well Traci, my good friend who encouraged me  the night before to take a risk...



But my favorite thing that happened all week was having a car sent for me for the PIX Morning News. A guy could get used to that, I need a driver, now accepting applications but you must supply the car and be OK with no pay.

2 comments:

  1. I love you and I am very proud of you my Design Star Son. LMAO. I must say that even I have had a recognition as "Design Star Michael's Mom", So much fun. As for no more taking the train, there is always the bus sweetie! And by the by, I have been your driver for many years, supplying the car and have been ok with no pay. So if anyone would like to retain this position, please feel free to contact me. Although I would like to add, having you as my Design Star son has been the most gratuitious and glorious position any mom could ever ask for. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll drive-I'm off all summer!Michael-your design was urban & edgy I think you did a great job-especially with the limited time, the nature of the materials and the fact that you were ON THE SPOT-A+

    ReplyDelete